Skip to main content

Posts

Robyn T-123B

I picked up this radio at a local flea market. It was in fair shape and dirty. The radio smells like cigarette smoke as it heats up. Below you can see what the top side looks like.


I changed all electrolytic and film capacitors. Below is the underside before I change capaitors.



Here is a photo after: 



The only issue this radio had was an open 33k ohm resistor coming off the meter adjust pot. The symptoms were the meter seeing a constant 7 volts across it and a lower screen voltage on the first IF amplifier. Once the resistor was replaced the voltage went away and the screen grid voltage went back to normal. 

Cleaned up face.
Recent posts

Seeburg Digital Control Center

The Seeburg Digital Control Center came into use around the 1970's. This was model DDC1. Seeburg continued the use to the digital control center line until around 1977. The last model used was a DCC42-56. The DCC is used to supply 27 volts DC, -27 volts  DC and -13 volts DC to the jukebox. The DCC has test points on the side to measure these voltages. 
Below you can see a DCC3.


Once you flip over the DCC you will see two circuit boards. The top board is the data buffer board. Generally you will not have any issue with it. The second board (on bottom) is the power supply board. This where you may have issues. The power supply board is where the DC voltages are created and regulated.

Below is the power supply board removed.


The first thing I always do when working on a DCC is start by replacing all electrolytic capacitors.

Below is the schematic.

 In my case as you can see below I had other issues.




As you can see transistor Q3120 has been replaced and someone ruined the trace. Q31…

Philco P933-124 from 1966

I have been wanting an AM/FM tube radio. I found this one eBay fairly cheap and I love Philco products.  The eBay listing said the radio worked as is.


Below is how I received the radio. I was very pleased with the packing!



The radio was all original from what I could tell and had a great sound. I went ahead and disassembled the radio and replaced the electrolytic capacitors.

The radio has a great sound and very sensitive.  Below is the schematic.



Wizard Husky 8" Dime Store Fan

Found this fan in a flea market in Branson, Missouri and I could not leave it behind.  The fan did not run when I brought it home. As you can see in the photos below it was dirty with lots of old oil.

This fan was sold by Western Auto stores sometime in the 1950's.  These were cheap made and require lots of oil.  They contain no real bearings and they use no grease just oil on the front and back of the rotor.

Once running this fan moved a uprising amount of air! This fan will remain in it's current state because it has no real value. I will most likely use it daily.



Here is some photos of the motor.




I used some oven cleaner to remove the old oil and gunk. Not a good idea as it will affect the paint, but it did do a great job!





Here is the fan being reassembled!


Back together and running!


1954 AMI Model F-80 Jukebox

This is my newest project an AMI Model F-80 . I picked this up in Russellville, Ar.

Everything looks complete on this Jukebox. I will be going through  every part of the jukebox cleaning, repairing and fixing. I may repaint it the original color as there are some places where the paint is looking rough.

Below you can see the mechanism and heart of the Jukebox.



Seeburg TSA1 Recapping and Hiss Problem

This amplifier like most I post about was brought in by Mike for me to inspect and recap.

As you can see this is a solid state amplifier and uses 2 transistors in push pull. The TSA1 has a volume control built in which makes testing a lot easier.

This is the before photo of the underside of the amplifier. A few capacitors had been changed over the years. Overall it had a lot of original parts and did not show any signs of previous damage.

Here is a photo after I finished with the recapping.

One of interesting things about this amplifier is that it uses germanium transistors in the driver's circuit. In the photo above you can see I have the transistor for the right channel lifted up. It is Q112 on the schematic. Seeburg used an RCA 34573 Germanium Transistor.

The reason for it being lifted is that it had became noisy. The right channel had constant loud hiss. That is a common problem for old germanium transistors. Below you can see the replacement.

I used a 2N1373. It is a new old…

Infinity Mirror Lights

Seeburg introduced the infinity mirror lights in 1975. Anyone who has ever replaced the light bulbs will tell you it is a pain

Below you can see one strip of the lights removed. I have already replaced all of the missing and burnt out bulbs. I used a #2182 bulb from mouser.



Below is the technique I used to replace the lights.
Simply take the leads and feed them through the metal clips on the side and then wrap the leads around the clips.  Finally, slide the bulb into the plastic holder.


The lights working and back into the jukebox. As you can see there is some bulbs on the inside of the mirror box.