Skip to main content

Seeburg SHP3 Tone Issues

I noticed in my Seeburg Entertainer  (STD2) that the tone seemed to change randomly and that even with minimal treble there still seemed to be too much high frequencies.  The problem was especially bad on worn records.

What I did:

I decided to take off the pre-amplifier board and inspect the tone switches. Below is what I found.

As you can see the switches were extremely dirty.
I cleaned the switches up with a rubber eraser and some deoxit.  (I forgot to take after photos)

Capacitor Mod:

Also, while I was working on the board I changed out the 2 1.5uF capacitors on the treble switch for .33uF capacitors. All I had in stock was 630volt. They are  over kill for the circuit, but they work.

After the cleaning and modification the amplifier sounds much better and did not have any issues with the tone changing while playing. 


  1. Having similar issue with an SHP1 amp. It’s a bit too bright on highest treble setting, but muddy on the MED and MIN settings. The brightness is passable on mint 45s but even slightly worn 45s play with some light distortion. (Especially noticeable on the vocals) Would your fix here work for the SHP1, you think? Thanks in advance - Greg G

    1. Greg,

      It should work just fine. I will follow up and say that the room your Jukebox is in will also make a difference in tone. My Seeburg Entertainer is in a large garage with concrete floors and hard walls. If your Jukebox is in a room with more objects to absorb the sound the tone will be different.

      One last note just for reference. The larger the capacitor in mfd the more high frequency drops. You may need to experiment and find the correct one for your setup.

      Hope this help.
      Best Regards,


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

6J1 Preamplifier

6J1 Preamplifier I purchased this 6J1 amplifier from eBay. The seller was located in China. Below is a my experinces building the preamp. I have not had a chance to give it a full test. I will update this post once I have had that chance.  It took a little over an hour and a half to finish building the kit. The board seemed a little tight for installing everything. The board itself runs on 12AC and from what I can gather it takes the 12AC and runs it through a voltage doubler which then gives the "B+" voltage.The tubes are 6J1's and obviously have 6volt filaments that run in series. I can not find a lot of info on the 6J1. Link to Data Sheet . There is not a lot of instructions. Most everything is in chines and so I cannot read it. I was able to follow down the parts list and figure out what everything was and where everything went. I used a multimeter to check the resistors before installing them because the colors were not easy to interrupt. Overall this is

Philco P933-124 from 1966

I have been wanting an AM/FM tube radio. I found this one eBay fairly cheap and I love Philco products.  The eBay listing said the radio worked as is. Below is how I received the radio. I was very pleased with the packing! The radio was all original from what I could tell and had a great sound. I went ahead and disassembled the radio and replaced the electrolytic capacitors. The radio has a great sound and very sensitive.  Below is the schematic.

Seeburg Digital Control Center

The Seeburg Digital Control Center came into use around the 1970's. This was model DDC1. Seeburg continued the use to the digital control center line until around 1977. The last model used was a DCC42-56. The DCC is used to supply 27 volts DC, -27 volts  DC and -13 volts DC to the jukebox. The DCC has test points on the side to measure these voltages.  Below you can see a DCC3. Once you flip over the DCC you will see two circuit boards. The top board is the data buffer board. Generally you will not have any issue with it. The second board (on bottom) is the power supply board. This where you may have issues. The power supply board is where the DC voltages are created and regulated. Below is the power supply board removed. The first thing I always do when working on a DCC is start by replacing all electrolytic capacitors. Below is the schematic.  In my case as you can see below I had other issues. As you can see transistor Q3120 has been repla